[DMH on the road]
- April 2019: Paper on "The Conflicted Western Tradition: Some Provocative Pairings of Texts about Liberty and Power" for Association of Core Texts and Courses annual conference, April 2019, Santa Fe, NM.
- October 2018: "Plunderers, Parasites, and Plutocrats: Some Reflections on the Rise and Fall and Rise and Fall of Classical Liberal Class Analysis" at the Libertarian Scholars Confrence in NYC 20 Oct. 2018.
- March, 2018: A new paper on "The Paris School of Liberal Political Economy, 1803-1853." which explores three generations of French economists from the publication of Say's Treatise in 1803 to the publication of the monumnetal Dictionnaire de l'économie politique (1852-53).
- Dec. 2017: My Introduction to and Translation of Frédéric Passy's speech on "The School of Liberty" (April, 1890) which will appear next year in the Acton Institute's Journal of Markets & Morality. A draft can be found here.
- Nov. 2016: "Charles Coquelin, Gustave de Molinari, Frédéric Bastiat and the 'Austrian Moment' in French Political Economy 1845-1855: Molinari and the Private Production of Security." Paper given at the Southern Economic Association, Nov. 2016. [HTML - PDF - MS Word]
- Nov. 2016: Liberty Matters online discussion: David M. Hart, “Classical Liberalism and the Problem of Class” (Nov. 2016)
- 31 March, 2016: "The Struggle against Protectionism, Socialism, and the Bureaucratic State: The Economic Thought of Gustave de Molinari, 1845-1855”. A Paper given at the Austrian Economics Research Conference (31 March to 2 April 2016), The Mises Institute, Auburn, Alabama. Full length paper (book-size) HTML and PDF. [Summary PDF and HTML]. Slides for Lecture [8 MB]
- 21-23 November, 2015: "Entrepreneurs,
Investors, and Scribblers: An Austrian Analysis of the Structure of Production
and Distribution of Ideas".
A paper given at the Southern
Economics Association, New Orleans, November 21-23, 2015. HTML and PDF.
- 2 Oct. 2015: "Reassessing Frédéric Bastiat as an
Economic Theorist". A paper presented to the Free Market Institute,
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, October 2, 2015. HTML and PDF.
- 14 April, 2015: "Literature IN Economics,
and Economics AS Literature I: Bastiat's use of Literature in Defense of
Free Markets and his Rhetoric of Economic Liberty." A paper given at
the Association of Private Enterprise Education International Conference
(April 12-14, 2015) , Cancún, Mexico. HTML and PDF.
- 14 April, 2015: "Literature IN Economics, and Economics
AS Literature II: The Economics of Robinson Crusoe from Defoe to
Rothbard by way of Bastiat." A paper given at the Association
of Private Enterprise Education International Conference (April 12-14, 2015)
, Cancún, Mexico. HTML and PDF.
- 28 March, 2015: "The Liberal Roots of American
Conservatism: Bastiat and the French Connection." A paper given to the
Philadelphia Society meeting March 27-29, 2015 on "The
Roots of American Conservatism - and its Future". HTML and PDF.
- March 2015: Liberty Matters online discussion: David M. Hart, “On the Spread of (Classical) Liberal Ideas” (March 2015)
[See the archive.]